Background:
My parents didn't know how to be parents together and so I got the short end of all sticks. I was not raised near my Grandparents or their sunday breakfasts, friday chinese food dinners, holiday gatherings, or any other family setting as such. My grandparents are the only glue that holds the Gannon's together. They kept the peace. I didn't get to grow up with this normalcy.
My grandmother is apparently going through her things and divvying them up amongst the grandchildren etc. I got my first little package this week and have been crying about it since. I am not ready for her to go yet. And there needs to be more detail that I am not ready to invest. I will save that for a later blog.
Memories I adore about my Grandma Gannon:
- Up until she moved into the nursing home she still used the same brown china that she had used my whole life! And the same glasses that were a yellowish kind of glass. I love that. Such continuity. When I went back to Seattle for Grandpa's funeral I sat at the table and cried eating on her brown plates. Mostly because that is one of the constants in my life and there were not many others. And we are talking about plates people!! They are vintage 70's McCoy Brown drip dinnerware. lol
- My Grandma ate Golden Grahams for breakfast every single day. In their old house (that they lived in for 50 years) the cereal boxes were always in the lower cupboard. And Grandma would fix me a bowl of GG to eat with her, in those beautiful brown bowls. And she was never fat, so GG can't be bad right?
- I have a few fond memories of playing in the basement at the old house. There was these wonderful bigger barbie and ken cowboy/cowgirl dolls with horses and a horse trailer. Oh how I loved them. They had brown bodies with turquoise rubber vests. Rubber chaps could be removed and cowboy hats. I would fight anyone to play with them. And always wished I had something like them at home.
- Grandma always said, "oooooooh ya" when she agreed with something. It is precious and I wish you guys could hear her say it. Her voice is so ingrained in my memory even though a ton of our communication was through cards/letters.
- My Grandma never missed one of my birthdays, not even when Grandpa had died in September. Growing up I would get a dollar for each year of my age. We may have moved all over the country and nothing was ever the same......but I could always count on a birthday card from Grandma. I am certain I haven't ever gotten a card from my dad on time. Just sayin.
I will never divorce you, and especially not because you call me crying!! <3 I think I had the same cowgirl doll with the turquoise rubber vest!! I'll have to see if I can Google a picture of it and send to you
ReplyDeleteI tried googling it but gave up. waaaaaa
ReplyDelete